Map & GIS Librarian
Academic Outreach Coordinator
Christopher J.J. Thiry has been the Map & GIS Librarian at Mines since 1995. He has extensive knowledge regarding map and GIS resources, map cataloging, and mining history. As the Academic Outreach Coordinator, he has met with a large number of Mines faculty and staff members regarding Library services and resources. He has taught numerous classes on campus regarding research skills. He is a two-time former President of the Western Association of Map Libraries (WAML). He has served on numerous committees on campus including the Faculty Senate, and the Re-admissions Committee.
- Masters of Information and Library Science, University of Michigan
- Bachelors of Arts (History), University of Michigan
- Thiry, Christopher J. J. “GIS-based discovery interface to paper map sets.” e-Perimetron 2017. 12:2 : 60-74.
- Thiry, Christopher J. J. “Seeing Underground: Maps, Models and Mining Engineering in America: By Eric C. Nystrom. Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada Press, 2014. ISBN: 978-0-87417-932-3. Pp. Xii, 301, Illus., Maps. US $39.95 (cloth).” Imago Mundi 3 July 2015 : 253–253.
- Thiry, Christopher J.J. “Cataloging Geologic Sections.”Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, 27:1-2, 113-145, DOI: 1300/J104v27n01_06
- Guide to U.S. Map Resources. 3rd ed. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2006. Print.
- Thiry, Christopher J.J. “Topographic Maps (scales 1:200,000 to 1:253,440).” 2014. Print.
- Thiry, Christopher J.J. “Library’s Paper Maps (scales 1:50,000 to 1:150,000).” 2013. Print.
- President Western Association of Map Libraries (WAML) (2015/16) & (2000/01)
- Member Mines Re-admissions Committee (2002-17)
- Member Mines University Senate (2002-05)
- Host Western Association of Map Libraries (WAML) fall 2007, and fall 1999
- Chair, Cartographic Users Advisory Council (CUAC), July 1999 to June 2000