Borrow and Renew
The Arthur Lakes Library is open to the public.
Who can check out material?
- Mines students, faculty, and staff with a valid BlasterCard.
- Members of the Alumni Association residing in Colorado.
- Patrons of libraries with reciprocal borrowing agreements.
- Patrons who purchase a membership.
- Individual Patron: $45.00
- Corporate Patrons:
2-5 cardholders $100.00
6-25 cardholders $500.00
26 plus cardholders $1,000.00
How long can materials be checked out?
- Undergraduate Students: 21 days (with 5 automatic renewals) for a maximum of 105 days.
- Graduate Students, Faculty and Staff: 60 days (with 5 automatic renewals) for a maximum of 300 days.
- All Others (Alumni, Mines Departments, Members, Reciprocal Borrowers): 21 days (with 3 automatic renewals) for a maximum of 63 days.
Any checked out item can be recalled by a Mines student, faculty or staff after 3 weeks.
How do I renew my books?
- When renewals are available and items have not been requested by someone else, library loans will be automatically renewed two days before the due date.
- Every month we’ll send you an email update with a list of the material you have checked out.
Note: items may be recalled at any time, which may prevent them from being renewed.
How many items can I check out?
- Mines community: 60 items
- Other patrons: 30 items
- Instructors place material “on reserve” for their students at the Front Desk.
- Check out times vary from 2 hours to 7 days.
- Fines for overdue reserve materials are $3.00/hour (maximum $10.00).
- See the Library Front Desk
- Email us
Why can’t I check out or renew materials?
- Your books are more than 30 days overdue.
- You have fines of $5.00 or more.
- Another patron has requested an item you have checked out.
Refer to the Check Out Policies and Course Reserve Policies for further information.
Check Out Policies
- Late fines are assessed at $0.25/day.
- Late fines on recalled material are $1.00/day.
- After 30 days an overdue book is declared lost and the replacement cost or $100.00 (whichever is greater) is charged to your account.
- Mines’ students will have a hold placed on their account if fines or fees exceed $5.00.
- Faculty/staff will be billed for the cost of the book.
- Other patrons will be referred to the Colorado State Central Collection Services after efforts to collect the materials have failed.
- Materials can be returned to the Front desk during open hours or dropped in the Book Drop by the Front Doors.
- Books may also be returned through the Courier system at participating libraries.
- Your book will not be checked in until it reaches this Library so allow time for delivery.
- You are responsible for any loss during transit.
- All checked out material can be requested by a Mines’ student or faculty/staff member.
- A Hold request will give you a full loan period but no renewals. A Recall request may shorten your loan period to 21 days.
- You will be notified by email of the new due date.
- Materials are sensitized to set off security alarms at the Library entrances. Items from other libraries, purchases from book stores, or video tapes will also set off alarms.
- It the alarm goes off when you are entering or leaving the Library please go to the Front Desk for assistance.